Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Good Question!!

We had Life Group at our house Sunday night.  As we are going thru the book Radical, it spurred some great conversation!  Some of it was troubling as we starting looking at what Jesus meant by the word "disciple".  It led us to observations of what the bible said about following Jesus vs. what we've learned in church about just 'being saved'.

Dean T., in our group, had the heaviest question of the night.  It's a place I want to end up in few weeks, but he was already there......"so do I have to be a disciple to be saved?"

I was reading part of a biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer .    He once said, "We are saved by faith alone, but not by faith which is alone."

It is a hard discussion to have about 'fruit' in someone's life being the litmus test of their salvation.  I'm not sure I want to have that discussion.  I'm quite sure it's not my responsibility to shine that light on someone else's life.  But even giving them the theology of that statement to examine themselves is a very hard thing to do in light of Grace.

This is going to be a hard, yet exciting journey for our Life Group.  I am looking forward to the statements of faith that are produced in our hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment