Saturday, August 23, 2014

A Constant Source of Grace









Every day, if following Christ closely, we are stretched beyond ourselves and beyond the grace we have within us. Whether relationships, weight of life, or simply pace of living, the peace of our souls is tested and pushed aside.

My reading for today from Valley of Vision spoke to this constant tug-of-war with grace:

O what blessedness accompanies devotion,
     when under all the trials that weary me,
                              the cares that corrode me,
                              the fears that disturb me,
                              the infirmities that oppress me,
I can come to Thee in my need,
     and feel peace beyond understanding!
And here thy saints encourage my hope;
     they were once poor and are now rich,
                              bound and are now free,
                              tried and are now victorious.
Every new duty calls for more grace than I now possess,
     but not more than is found in thee,
     the divine Treasury in whom all fullness dwells.
     
                                   from: Valley of Vision, A collection of Puritan Prayers & Devotions


When life is heavy or relationships are a struggle, move closer to God (devotion) and fine the grace needed to move ahead...

No comments:

Post a Comment